This blog is a companion to culture coverage at EthicsDaily.com.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Jose Canseco, Baseball and Steroids

Jose Canseco, former star of the Oakland A's, has a new book out called Juiced. It's his autobiography. He was an all-star multiple times and one-time MVP. He was a slugger.

In his book he accuses several big-name players of steroid use (he admits to using steroids as well). Problem is, Canseco isn't viewed as a credible source. He's had problems with the law, and some critics view his allegations as jealousy. Of course, if you take a look at contemporary baseball, I'm not sure you need Jose Canseco to consider the possibility that some cheating has taken hold in dugouts.

I got Canseco's autograph years ago when he was playing in the A's farm system. He was with the AA Huntsville Stars--Huntsville being my hometown. He was there along with other future stars--like Mark Maguire (one of the guys he accuses).

I'm not sure I'd ever heard of steroids then. I'm not saying they weren't around; they just weren't on my radar. As a little leaguer, I don't remember blanket accusations about sports stars. What I remember is reading about Hank Aaron in one of my favorite books about sports heroes.

Baseball is still my favorite professional sport, but probably more for what it was and what I remember it being than for what it has become ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home